Let’s start cook’n! Now that you have your shopping list, it’s time for the first of our favorite easy weeknight meals.
My favorite things about this meal are all the flavors that are combined, plus how pretty it looks on a plate. The colors are bright and the textures are all so different—making a pretty impressive dinner. Come to think of it…this might be a sweet dinner to cook for your significant other for a romantic dinner at home too.
SCALLOPS, SWEET POTATO PUREE WITH BACON AND ONION JAM
recipe serves two people
4 sweet potatoes
6 medium scallops (we buy ours frozen from Trader Joe’s)
4 slices black forest bacon (Turkey Bacon works too)
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons agave syrup
2 tablespoons cayenne
2 tablespoons french salt (nice course salt)
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons sugar
½ c white balsamic vinegar
6 tablespoons olive oil
Onion Jam—you want to start the onion jam first, since it will take the longest.
1) Heat a large saucepan and add the olive oil.
2) Meantime, slice the onions to a medium thickness.
3) Cook the onions over a med-low heat for 25 minutes or until caramelized.
4) Add the sugar and cook 3 mins.
5) Add the balsamic vinegar and reduce until thick.
While the Onion Jam is cooking you can work on the rest.
1) Bring a pot of water to boil.
2) Peel and cut sweet potatoes into 2 inch cubes.
3) Boil sweet potatoes until fork tender.
4) Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, cook the bacon until crisp. Reserve the bacon drippings.
5) Place cooked sweet potatoes into food processor with butter, agave syrup, salt and pepper. Blend until smooth.
6) Season scallops with french salt and cayenne (we mixed french salt and cayenne on a plate and made sure each side of the scallop was thoroughly coated…this helps leave a nice char on the scallops when you cook them), then add them to the same pan used to cook the bacon. Cook 2 – 3 minutes per side.